[LLVMdev] ANN: libclc (OpenCL C library implementation)

Carlos Sánchez de La Lama carlos.delalama at urjc.es
Thu Oct 20 00:54:33 PDT 2011

Hi Ralf,

> The project started as a use-case for our "Whole-Function Vectorization"
> library, which allows to transform a function to compute the same as W
> executions of the original code by using SIMD instructions (W = 4 for
> SSE/AltiVec, 8 for AVX).

Quite interesting. We were planning to add "vectorization" to our passes also, but if I understood the paper correctly your approach uses full speculation, which is all right for SIMD architectures but might not be so for multi-issue processors. The pocl project comes from a generalization of our work in using OpenCL as entry language for static ILP architectures (http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSAMOS.2010.5642061), so we do not only focus on DLP but also ILP (ultimate goal of pocl is portable performance of OpenCL code among different platforms).

Our idea was to use an hybrid method, with vectorized code in the unconditional sections and replicated/looped as we do now on the conditional parts of the kernels.

> In contrast to Clover and pocl, we aimed at maximum performance before
> full support of the API (which simply requires more manpower than one
> PhD student).

That is wrong, at least for pocl. We do not (by far) support the whole API, the main new point on pocl is the LLVM passes to statically create the different work items in a workgroup, and the barrier handling. Our kernel runtime library is currently in fact fairly small, including just a little more then the implementation-dependent functions. We are considering merging efforts with liblcl in that point.

BR,

Carlos