[LLVMdev] Enabling Vector-select

Rotem, Nadav nadav.rotem at intel.com
Mon Oct 17 01:41:01 PDT 2011

LLVM now supports vector-select.

Cheers,
Nadav

-----Original Message-----
From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu] On Behalf Of Rotem, Nadav
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 13:09
To: llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: [LLVMdev] Enabling Vector-select

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let everybody know that I am going to enable the support for vector-select by default later today.

Details:

Currently the LLVM code-generator only supports 'select' [1] instructions with a boolean condition. Vectorizing compilers, such as the Intel OpenCL Vectorizer and the GCC vectorizer often use vector-select instructions to implements masks. This change makes code-generation for these patterns possible.

In order to enable vector-select we needed to make some changes to the LLVM type-legalizer.
The '-promote-elements' flag changes the way illegal vectors are legalized. Currently, the default legalization algorithm widens the number of elements in a vector. So, the vector v4i8 would be converted to v16i8. Using the 'promote-element' flag, the legalizer would first try to widen each element. So, the vector v4i8 would be converted to v4i32. Overall this is a good idea because the instruction set is usually more complete for the 'common' element type. This change is required in order to legalize mask types such as '<4 x i1>' into the types which are used by the SSE and Neon instruction sets.

The X86 backend already has excellent codegen support and it lowers vector-select instructions to SSE4 and AVX blends. Other targets emulate blends using a sequence of ANDs and Xors.

Later today I will fix a few tests (which expect a slightly different output) and enable the '-promote-element' flag by default.

[1] http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#i_select
[2] https://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/test/CodeGen/X86/avx-blend.ll?revision=139992

Thanks,
Nadav