[LLVMdev] LLC ARM Backend maintainer

Sandeep Patel deeppatel1987 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:46:33 PDT 2011

Testing on arm-darwin outside of Apple is _complicated_. I had it
partially working about two years ago.

The general approach is to use rsh/ssh to remotely execute each test
on the target, which outside of Apple requires jailbreaking. In the
old test system, setting up REMOTE_CLIENT=ssh, REMOTE_PORT, etc. would
automatically use ssh to run the tests. In lit, it looks like
TestRunner.py has support for external shells that may be intended for
this purpose; I can't tell. The test-suite and bugpoint code for
working this way is still present.

The problem with this setup is that it assumes that the target will be
running the tests at the same paths as they were built on the host.
That cannot be achieved outside of Apple because all the NFS
components are not present in the released/jailbroken iOS. It should
be straight-forward to build these pieces from the source, but I
stopped investigating this at this point.

If somebody else gets this working outside of Apple, please post more
instructions to the list. I know I felt more comfortable at least
being able to hand run a few specific tests on arm-darwin against my
ARM patches before submitting since I was making large changes to
calling conventions and they are quite different on arm-darwin. Other
areas of ARM work probably aren't as likely to need to test on
arm-darwin outside of Apple.

deep