[LLVMdev] interprocedural static backwards slicing

Jinwook Shin Jinwook.Shin at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 11 15:05:13 PDT 2011

Thanks John for the super quick checkin. I was a little surprised here.

Yesterday/today I spent some time trying to build poolalloc on my mac dev
machine. Unfortunately, it failed to build [1]. Looks like the compiler
can't find the header files under /usr/include/c++. I also tried to build
on my linux box and saw the same problem. giri built successfully. Are you
sure poolalloc builds on 2.7? 'cause I saw [2]. And the release_26 branch
of llvm and poolalloc indeed produced a working poolalloc module on my
box, though giri failed to build with llvm 2.6.

By the way, llvm-gcc v.2.7 was on the PATH while the build break was
happening. So this time I did a little experiment by removing llvm-gcc 2.7
from the PATH, and I saw a different error [3]. I guess the system
llvm-gcc was used for the bitcode generation, hence the mismatch of the
intrinsic prototype. I'd appreciate some hints here.

I'll give you a separate email regarding contributing code to the LLVM
community.

Thanks,
Jin

[1]

llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/include/poolalloc/MMAPSupport.h:16:19:
error: cstdlib: No such file or directory
llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/include/poolalloc/MMAPSupport.h:17:19:
error: cassert: No such file or directory

[2]

/llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/README:

KNOWN ISSUES:
=============

Automatic Pool Allocation is currently broken on 2.7 due to malloc and
free instructions being removed.  Use the release_26 branch of llvm
and poolalloc for a working poolalloc module.

[3]

llvm[2]: Compiling PoolAllocator.cpp for Release build (bytecode)
llvm[2]: Compiling PoolAllocator.cpp for Release build (PIC)
llvm[2]: Compiling PoolAllocator.ll to PoolAllocator.bc for Release build
(bytecode)
Intrinsic prototype has incorrect number of arguments!
void (i8*, i8*, i64, i32, i1)* @llvm.memmove.p0i8.p0i8.i64
Broken module found, compilation aborted!
0  opt               0x0000000106fde582 _ZL15PrintStackTracePv + 34
1  opt               0x0000000106fdea49 _ZL13SignalHandleri + 553
2  libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff92d42cfa _sigtramp + 26
3  opt               0x0000000106f02ff1
llvm::UpgradeIntrinsicFunction(llvm::Function*, llvm::Function*&) + 3633
4  opt               0x0000000106f97fc7 (anonymous
namespace)::Verifier::abortIfBroken() + 311
5  opt               0x0000000106fa5138 (anonymous
namespace)::Verifier::runOnFunction(llvm::Function&) + 2304
6  opt               0x0000000106f80b7c
llvm::FPPassManager::runOnFunction(llvm::Function&) + 392
7  opt               0x0000000106f7bc7b
llvm::FPPassManager::runOnModule(llvm::Module&) + 61
8  opt               0x0000000106f8085b
llvm::MPPassManager::runOnModule(llvm::Module&) + 321
9  opt               0x0000000106f81a91
llvm::PassManagerImpl::run(llvm::Module&) + 221
10 opt               0x0000000106f81b11
llvm::PassManager::run(llvm::Module&) + 13
11 opt               0x0000000106cc6229 main + 3033
12 opt               0x0000000106cbf7a4 start + 52
13 opt               0x0000000000000006 start + 18446744069300553878
Stack dump:
0.	Program arguments: /Users/username/llvm-2.7/llvm/Release/bin/opt
/Users/username/llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/runtime/FL2Allocator/Relea
se/PoolAllocator.ll -std-compile-opts -strip-debug -o
/Users/username/llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/runtime/FL2Allocator/Relea
se/PoolAllocator.bc
1.	Running pass 'Function Pass Manager' on module
'/Users/username/llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/runtime/FL2Allocator/Rele
ase/PoolAllocator.ll'.
2.	Running pass 'Module Verifier' on function '@poolaccesstrace'
llvm[2]: Linking Release Shared Library poolalloc_rt.dylib
llvm[2]: Building Release Archive Library libpoolalloc_rt.a
make[2]: ***
[/Users/username/llvm-2.7/llvm/projects/poolalloc/runtime/FL2Allocator/Rele
ase/PoolAllocator.bc] Abort trap: 6
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1