[LLVMdev] ARM Qualification

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Tue Oct 11 14:09:51 PDT 2011

Hi Raja,

I'm open to suggestions. Our current release qualification is to bootstrap the compiler (similar to how GCC does their bootstrapping), run the test suites, and verify that there are no regressions. Improving the test suite is always welcome. In addition, we send out pre-release tarballs and have people in the community build and test their programs with it. This is not a perfect system, but it's one which works for us given the number of testers available, the amount of time and resources they have, and whatever fixes need to be merged into the release.

ARM qualification is a bit trickier, because of the different specific chips out there, different OSes, and having to verify ARM, Thumb1, and Thumb2 for the same configurations. And the tests tend to run a bit slower than, say, an x86 chip. So it's mostly a matter of time and resources. Unless we can get people who are willing to perform these tests, we won't be able to release ARM as an official supported platform.

-bw