[LLVMdev] LLVM IR is a compiler IR

Christophe de Dinechin christophe at taodyne.com
Wed Oct 5 01:55:17 PDT 2011

Hi Dan,

I read five distinct requests in your well-written remarks, which may appeal to different people:

1. How can we make LLVM more portable? As Chris later pointed out, it's hard to achieve this goal on the input side while preserving C semantics, since even C source code doesn't really have that property. On the platform front, recent discussions about "non-standard" architectures highlighted that most of the LLVM effort is really around x86 and ARM, and platforms that deviate from these reference points tend to be second thoughts.

2. How can we make LLVM more stable over time? As a regular user of LLVM, I initially found  the frequent changes in LLVM painful. On the other hand, that effort is not a high price if it keeps the code base fluid. It wouldn't hurt to take an approach like OpenGL where new stuff is tested through a shared "extensions" mechanism, and deprecation of old interfaces spans years. "It no longer works" is a message we see a little too often on LLVM-dev.

3. How can we clarify the specification of LLVM? In the good old Unix tradition, the source code is the documentation, and the "documentation" explains the bugs and gives simplistic examples. But standard-level specification is really hard and tends to spend inordinate amount of time on corner cases ordinary folks don't care about. To wit: C++ and C++ ABI standardization efforts. LLVM has the luxury to be able to just assert in the corner cases, and deal with it on demand.

4. How can we address minority needs in LLVM? Being a minority here, I can only second that. I'd say that LLVM has to keep their priorities right. As someone else pointed out, one reason to pick up LLVM is because it gives me interoperability with C. I'm not willing to give that up, and that means I have to learn a little bit of the C non-portable way of doing things. That being said, minorities are also the guys keeping you on your toes.

5. How can we avoid selfish kludges and self-imposed limitations in the LLVM source code base? Probably the more immediately actionable point. IMO, things tend to go in the right direction, at least in my experience. But it's always easy to lapse.

Overall, I see these not so really as technical or architectural issues. Rather, I'd say that LLVM is very "market driven", i.e. the largest communities (C and x86) tend to grab all the attention. Still, it has reached a level of maturity where even smaller teams like ours can benefit from the crumbs.

That being said, can we build a portable LLVM IR on top of the existing stuff without giving up C compatibility? I'm not sure. I would settle for a few sub-goals that may be more easily achieved, e.g. define a subset of the IR that is exactly as portable as C, or ensuring that object layout settings default to the target, but can effectively be overridden in a meaningful way (think: C++ ABI inheritance rules, HP28/HP48 internal object layout, ...)

My two bytes
Christophe