[LLVMdev] LLVM IR is a compiler IR

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 10:09:36 PDT 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Talin wrote:

> Here's my position in a nutshell: The kind of things that Dan wants LLVM to do should really be a separate sub-project from LLVM proper, built on top of LLVM. I think it's unrealistic to expect LLVM proper to adopt Dan's stated objectives - but at the same time, it would be a awful shame if there wasn't something that could meet his needs, since I think many people other than Dan would benefit from such a thing.

There seems to be substantial confusion about this, here and elsewhere
on the internet. I personally am not proposing a new IR, or a new
project, or any new development effort here. I'm just making observations,
some of which are widely known, some of which are not, and proposing a
conclusion, for the purpose of promoting understanding.

In the paragraph where I discussed the task of an independent
implementaion, I meant it as a purely hypothetical situation.

Dan