[LLVMdev] Support for PPC 440/450

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Oct 5 08:22:10 PDT 2011

I've been working on adding support for the PPC 440/450 "embedded" cores
to the PowerPC backend. These are used on IBM's Blue Gene L and P
supercomputers, but are also used in other environments (like on the
Xilinx Virtex-5). Here is my first patch. I'm new to LLVM, and so I
apologize if this is the wrong way to do this [the online docs seem to
imply that a patch should be sent to a mailing list, although does not
specify which one, should it go to the bug tracker instead?].

I've tried to touch as little of the existing code as possible. There
are some other changes which should probably be made, but would require
touching the existing PowerPC code. For example, the general load/store
itinerary should really be split into a general load and general store.
Also, on the so-called "Book E" embedded PPC cores, the sync instruction
is called msync (same opcode, different name). I'm not sure what the
best way of doing a predicate-base asm name is.

I'm just about done with a patch to add support for the FP2 (aka Double
Hummer) v2f64 vector instruction set, but I figured that it would be
good to make that a separate patch.

Thanks in advance,
Hal

--