[LLVMdev] ld crashes with invalid pointer on Ubuntu 11.04 x86 when linking libgcc_s.so

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Mon Oct 3 10:15:39 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Eric Christopher <echristo at apple.com> wrote:
> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
> bfae3000-bfb07000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0          [stack]
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted]
> make[4]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
>

> Signal 6 is SIGABRT so you may want to find out what's calling abort inside
> ld. An abort usually means that the linker has gotten into an inconsistent
> or unexpected state.

The abort is actually called from some libc subroutine that's a couple
levels below ld's code.

I'm close to having it build, I think.

It looks like the crash was caused by having the release 11.04 ld not
be able to find -lc.  It's in /lib/i386-linux-gnu on Ubuntu rather
than just in /lib.

After I get LLVM built all the way I'll try putting the release
binutils back to see whether I can still reproduce the crash.  It
might be that my homebuild ld's complaint that it can't find -lc
causes the release ld to abort.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation