[LLVMdev] elf direct object emission

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Wed Nov 30 10:14:23 PST 2011

Hi Reed,

I gather that symbols starting with '$' are normally assembler local labels (i.e., not output into the object file symbol table) for MIPS but that the system assembler keeps the symbols for string constants anyway?

If '$' isn't the prefix to indicate that symbols are assembler-local, that can be changed in lib/Target/Mips/MCTargetData/MipsMCAsmInfo.cpp via the PrivateGlobalPrefix value.

If '$' is correct, but there there need to be exceptions for symbols in some sections, that's done via MCAsmBackend::doesSectionRequireSymbols(). X86 on Darwin does this for strings, too, so that the linker can coalesce them and other such things. You can base the logic on pretty much anything about the section that's known to the MC layer. Typically it's section flags, but it can be via name matching or whatever else. If Mips wants the same ELF behavior that X86 does, you can probably just lift the code directly from ELFX86AsmBackend, which is:
  virtual bool doesSectionRequireSymbols(const MCSection &Section) const {
    const MCSectionELF &ES = static_cast<const MCSectionELF&>(Section);
    return ES.getFlags() & ELF::SHF_MERGE;
  }

-Jim