[LLVMdev] [llvm-commits] Bottom-Up Scheduling?

Sergei Larin slarin at codeaurora.org
Wed Nov 30 09:11:24 PST 2011

Andy,

   Thank you for the extended and prompt answer. Let me try to summaries my
current position so you (and everyone interested) would have a better view
of the world through my eyes ;)

  1) LLVM first robust VLIW target is currently in review. It needs for
scheduling strategy/quality are rather different than what current
scheduler(schedulers) can provide.
  2) My first attempt in porting (while I was on 2.9) resulted in a new
top-down Pre-RA VLIW enabled scheduler that I was hoping to upstream as soon
as our back end is accepted. I guess I have missed the window since our
commit took a bit longer than planned. Now Evan told me (and you have
confirmed) that it would need to change to bottom-up version for 3.0.
Moreover, current "level" (exact placement in DAG->DAG pass) of Pre-RA
scheduling is less than optimal (and I agree to that since I have to bend
backwards to extract info readily available in MIs).
  3) Your group is working on a "new" scheduler, and the best I understand
it would be same general algorithm moved "closer" to RA. I also understand
that at first it would not have added support for "packets"/bundles/multiops
in VLIW definition (or will it?). If they will be presented, interesting
discussion on how subsequent passes will be modified to recognize them would
follow... but we had another thread on this topic not that long ago.

  So, IMHO the following would make sense:

  1) It would be very nice if we can have some sort of write-up detailing
proposed changes, and maybe defining overall strategy for instruction
scheduling in LLVM __before__ major decisions are made. It should later be
converted in to "how to" or simple doc chapter on porting scheduler(s) to
new targets. Public discussion should follow, and we need to try to
accommodate all needs (as much as possible).
  2) Any attempts on my part to further VLIW scheduler design for my target
would be unwise until such discussion would take place. I also do not
separate this process from bundle/packet representation. If you perceive an
overhead associated with this activity, I could volunteer to help.

  Also, please see my comments embedded below.

Thanks.

Sergei Larin

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum.

[Larin, Sergei]
  Sure, that could be achieved with the design document/documentation set I
am talking about.

> 2) Make it easy for very similar targets to piggyback on one of those
> implementations, without having to worry about other targets

[Larin, Sergei]
  Yes, and having a robust VLIW scheduler would greatly help here. It would
also IMHO set LLVM apart from GCC, and become an additional selling point
for us.

> 3) Allow dissimilar targets (e.g. VLIW) to completely bypass the
> scheduler used by other targets and reuse only nicely self-contained
> parts of the framework, such as the DAG builder and individual machine
> description features.

[Larin, Sergei]
  I think this is rather implementation dependent, and we can finesse this
once we have framework better defined.

> We've recently moved further from this ideal scenario in that we're now
> forcing targets to implement the bottom-up selection dag scheduler.

[Larin, Sergei]
 I really dislike this, especially due to the reason that lead to this
decision. I think the general "flexibility"/functionality was sacrificed for
tactical reason.

> This is not really so bad, because you can revert to "source order"
> scheduling, -pre-RA-sched=source, and you don't need to implement many
> target hooks. It burns compile time for no good reason, but you can
> probably live with it. Then you're free to implement your own MI-level
> scheduler.
[Larin, Sergei]
  I am not 100% sure about this statement, but as I get closer to
re-implementing my scheduler I might grasp a better picture.

> The next step in making it easier to maintain an llvm scheduler for
> "interesting" targets is to build an MI-level scheduling framework and
> move at least one of the primary targets to this framework so it's well
> supported. This would separate the nasty issues of serializing the
> selection DAG from the challenge of microarchitecture-level scheduling,
> and provide a suitable place to inject your own scheduling algorithm.
> It's easier to implement a scheduler when starting from a valid
> instruction sequence  where all dependencies are resolved and no
> register interferences exit.

[Larin, Sergei]
  Agree, and my whole point is that it needs to be done with preceding
public discussion, and not de-facto with code drops.

> To answer your question, there's no clear way to describe the current
> overall scheduling strategy. For now, you'll need to ask porting
> questions on llvm-dev. Maybe someone who's faced a similar problem will
> have a good suggestion. We do want to improve that situation and we
> intend to do that by first providing a new scheduler framework. When we
> get to that point, I'll be sure that the new direction can work for you

[Larin, Sergei]
Any clue on time frame?

> and is easy to understand. All I can say now is that the new design
> will allow a target to compose a preRA scheduler from an MI-level
> framework combined with target-specific logic for selecting the optimal
> instruction order. I don't see any point in imposing a generic
> scheduling algorithm across all targets.
>
> -Andy

[Larin, Sergei]
Thank you again for the explanation. I am really looking forward to digging
into it.