[LLVMdev] Where does LLVM mangle characters from llvm-ir names while generating native code?

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 08:29:48 PST 2011

> So setting AllowQuotesInName=true gets the correct names in the
> output. However, it breaks MinGW. The issue is of course that
> MCAsmInfo mixes both assembler and object file format capabilities.
> Allowing quoted names has nothing to do with COFF ;/. So it seems we
> need a new AsmInfo class for "real" Windows. Any other ideas on how to
> implement this?

Something like what we do for cfi support in the assembly is probably
reasonable. I would suggest

* add a flag like -fno-asm-quotes, default it to false since MC is
fairly common these days.
* Remove AllowQuotesInName
* Instead of mangling names when given -fno-asm-quotes, just error if
the string has unprintable characters.

> - Michael Spencer

Cheers,
Rafael