[LLVMdev] Alternate instruction sequences

cafxx cafxx at strayorange.com
Wed Nov 9 00:52:38 PST 2011

I was wondering, is there any way to express in the IR that an
instruction/instruction sequence/basic
block/region/function/module/whatever is an alternate version of
another? e.g. let's keep things simple and say that I have an
instruction I. An optimization pass reads it and could be able to
produce one or more functionally-equivalent instructions I1, ..., In
without being really able to ascertain which one is "best" w.r.t. the
optimization goal. While this could be true even for a single, isolated,
pass it's all the more true for chains of optimizations (i.e. 'which one
of the alternate instructions will be the "best" after all other
optimizations have run?'). In this case, wouldn't it be interesting to
be able to insert into the IR all (or some of) the alternate versions,
mark them as such and defer the decision about which one will be used
after all optimizations have run?
B.r.,
Carlo Alberto