[LLVMdev] Difference in behavior between local machine and buildbot

Peter Cooper peter_cooper at apple.com
Tue Nov 8 18:06:47 PST 2011

Hi

I'm running the nightly test suite locally and getting a difference with the output from this buildbot (http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-x86_64-debian-fnt/builds/1168/steps/make.test-suite/logs/stdio)

For .ll tests the buildbot does the following (look for spirit.cpp in that link.  Only comes up twice, one of which is this one)
/home/baldrick/osuosl/slave/clang-x86_64-debian-fnt/llvm.obj/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++ ... -S /home/baldrick/osuosl/slave/clang-x86_64-debian-fnt/test-suite.src/SingleSource/Benchmarks/Misc-C++-EH/spirit.cpp -o Output/spirit.ll -emit-llvm

while my machine does

/usr/bin/llvm-g++ … -S spirit.cpp -o Output/spirit.ll -emit-llvm

Trouble is, llvm-g++ emits an .ll file which isn't valid so llvm-as fails on my machine.

I've looked at the makefiles for the test suite and it seems that this command is the one being run here

-$(LCXX) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS) $(LOPTFLAGS) $(X_TARGET_FLAGS) -S $< -o $@ $(LLVMCC_EMITIR_FLAG)

So how did my machine find llvm-g++ for $(LCXX) but the build machine found clang++?

Note i have configured my machine and pointed the test-suite at my bin folder as the command after that failing one has the correct path.

/Users/pete/svn/Debug+Asserts/bin/llvm-as Output/spirit.ll -o Output/spirit.bc.

Also, for the spirit.native test i get the opposite behavior so the buildbot uses g++ while my machine uses clang++

Thanks,
Pete