[LLVMdev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Nov 1 13:43:25 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:38:14PM -0500, David A. Greene wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> writes:
>
> > As I said earlier in this thread: LLVM is nowhere big enough in terms
> > of subdirectories that recursive make is a significant contributor to
> > build time.
>
> But it is and many people have reported their experiences to that
> effect.  One can't simply deny the experiences of many developers.

The only case so far that attached an actual number disagrees with your
assertion. Surprisingly, it is quite reproducable for me. The only case
where the build system isn't enough to max out the CPU for me is during
linkage. Given that this is kind of the last task to do, no big surprise
and nothing a different build system could fix.

Joerg