[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Nov 1 12:11:29 PDT 2011

Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> writes:

>> However, most developers do not and it is much easier to learn Python
>> than CMake.
>
> That's your opinion.

It's my experience.  Every time I look at CMake my head hurts.  :)

> And you are assuming that what you propose will not require CMake (nor
> `make') knowledge for maintainance, something that I strongly doubt.

Oh, it probably will and I agree it may be adding some complexity.

> In fact, as your proposed system deals with both build systems it acts
> as a common denominator, thus restricting the evolution of them, as some
> features that could be easy to implement on cmake but difficult on
> `make' now must go through your scripts, which act as a deterrent.

Hmm...it's a build system, right?  There's not much to add, really.
Build systems should be really simple.  All they need is dependencies
and rules to build stuff.  I don't think Daniel is considering
implementing autoconf-like capability, for example.

And make is extremely powerful.  Most projects don't even come close to
exploiting its capability.

What sorts of features can you imagine we'd want to add?

                               -Dave