[LLVMdev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Nov 1 10:04:18 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 11:09:41AM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> On the reasons why make-based builds are slow, Peter Miller has some
> insight to offer:
> http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/ .
> I'm not sure how widely recognized that paper is. Maybe it's widely
> known and today's build times stem from other things than recursive make.

Please stop pointing to that article. It should be called "GNU make
considered harmful" if anything, since most of the content is a direct
result of issues in that tool. As I said earlier in this thread: LLVM is
nowhere big enough in terms of subdirectories that recursive make is a
significant contributor to build time.

Joerg