[LLVMdev] x86 cross compiler for ppc fails to build

Maarten Faddegon m.faddegon at student.tudelft.nl
Wed May 18 07:04:51 PDT 2011

I try to build a cross powerpc compiler, but llvm-gcc fails.

Eric Christopher wrote:
> Looks like you don't have an assembler for your target installed that
> llvm-gcc can find.

I have binutils installed for powerpc and verified they are working with
a simple hello world program.

$ powerpc-750-linux-gnu-as --version
GNU assembler 2.16.1

However, the xgcc build during the seems to generate instructions that
are not understood by the assembler.
I forced xgcc to output assembly and tried to use the assembler on the
result manually.
There are instructions like this one "lis 30, ha16(completed.5554.b)"
which are not understood apparently?
Should this instruction be understood by the assembler?

Thanks,
  Maarten