[LLVMdev] LLVM and Visual Studio 2003

Philip Ritchey pritchey at microsemi-wl.com
Tue May 17 13:56:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have what I think is a simple question: Is it at all possible to build LLVM with Visual Studio 2003?

The "Getting Started with the LLVM System using Microsoft Visual Studio" document states that versions earlier than 2005 SP1 will not work because they do not support the C++ standard well enough.

Is it just some features of LLVM that require better C++ support and so building the whole suite requires Visual Studio 2005 SP1 or later?  Or is it the case that the core functionality of LLVM requires C++ support that VS2003 does not provide and so Visual Studio 2003 can never be used to build LLVM?

Thank you so much for your help,
Philip