[LLVMdev] llvm backend

Roberto Rodríguez-Rodríguez robalrr at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:08:28 PDT 2011

I have been analyzing the implementation for some backend (PIC16, MIPS,
SPARC and MSP430) my main problem is that they are so much different, I mean
obviously they are describing different architectures, but the file
structure is not the same. So it is difficult to get a pattern.

I have checked the available documentation files, also the video from
Cardoso about how to write a backend for the MIPS but the problem is the
same, all the documention said what the files have to contain but not the
details about write them.

I need to write a backend for the PIC24, our processor is based on it, so I
started analyzing the files for the implementation of the PIC16, all was ok
until I analyzed the files PIC16ILowering.cpp and PICInstrInfo.td, this
files have defined many things like SDTypeProfile and SDNode and other
things I don't have idea from where they come. I mean I tried to find this
info from other files, llvm.org and google and no idea.

I have checked the documentation, after read it I thought the implementation
will be a not to difficult job, but analyzing the files I realized I didn't
have idea about the magnitude of the problem.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Best Regards
             Roberto