[LLVMdev] Trace Use-Def chain

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue May 3 18:24:26 PDT 2011

On 5/3/11 4:08 PM, tarun agrawal wrote:
> HI
>
> I know it is a very simple question not worth asking here but I am
> really struggling pls help me out..

This is a question worth asking; it's just that not everyone can answer
all the time.
:)

If all you want to do is to follow the SSA def-use chain within a single
function, then this is very easy.  All you have to do is use the
use_iterator of the Instruction object to iterate through its def-use
chain.  For all uses that are instructions, use the getParent() method
to find the basic block containing the instruction.  That's it.

This approach won't work in two cases:

1) If you want to trace def/use through memory.  Memory is not in SSA
form, and so you have to use extra analysis to track from which store
the result of a load originates.

2) If you want to track def/use inter-procedurally through function
arguments and return values.  If you don't care about tracking through
memory, this is a fairly easy inter-procedural analysis to do, and we
have some code internally at University of Illinois that does it.  If
you need it, I can talk to Vikram and see if we can give you a copy.

For more information on how to iterate through def-use chains, see the
LLVM Programmer's Manual:
http://llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#iterate_chains

-- John T.