[LLVMdev] Greedy register allocation

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Tue May 3 13:30:36 PDT 2011

On May 3, 2011, at 12:03 PM, David A. Greene wrote:

>> I am working my way through the regressions, looking for things the
>> allocator did wrong. Any help is appreciated, please file bugs if you
>> find examples of stupid register allocation.
>
> Certainly.  I would ask that we keep linearscan around, if possible, as
> long as there are significant regressions like this.  Our customers tend
> to really, really care about performance.

That's reasonable, and it is also useful to keep it around as a reference when greedy breaks.

On the other hand, I really want to clean up the code surrounding register allocation, and that is much easier to do after linear scan is gone. There is a good chance it won't make it to the 3.0 release.

/jakob