[LLVMdev] LoopInfo are not able to identify some natural loops?

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Sun May 1 13:24:23 PDT 2011

On 4/30/11 8:52 AM, Bo Wu wrote:
> In C code, if a loop is not a natural loop, that means its loop body
> should at least have one label, right? In that case, some BB out of
> the loop can jump to the loop body, so the loop has more than on entry.

Off the top of my head, I would think you are right: a C label would
have to exist within the loop in order to have a jump from outside the
loop to the inside of the loop.

That said, have you looked at the LLVM IR generated for the function and
determined that the loop meets all the criteria of a natural loop?  Just
my two cents, but I think looking at the IR directly is much more
accurate than ensuring that your conclusion about C code and natural
loops is correct.

-- John T.