[LLVMdev] Enable soft-float

Xun Li lxfind at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:55:32 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM, 陳韋任 <chenwj at iis.sinica.edu.tw> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> > llvm-gcc assumes that there's already a native code C library available to
>> > use. 鼦ll the systems of which I know already come with a C library. 狢f you
>> > somehow don't have a C library for your system, you'll have to compile one.
>> >

>> Yes every system comes with C library implementations but if the
>> target architecture is different from the host, e.g. I am running llvm
>> on x86 but I am generating code for sparc then I won't have libraries
>> directly available. Is that right? How do people normally handle this?
>
>  Cross compiling?

I don't think it would be a cross compiling. The main difference
between llvm and gcc backend is that llvm directly support generating
code for different target while in gcc you have to cross compile.
Cross compiling for llvm means "create LLVM executables and libraries
to be hosted on a platform different from the platform where they are
build (a Canadian Cross build)" based on the llvm documentation.

I was just curious now that llvm supports that many targets, how
should users deal with libraries of those targets?