[LLVMdev] Prevent unbounded memory consuption of long lived JIT processes

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Wed Mar 16 08:39:53 PDT 2011

On Mar 16, 2011, at 6:19 AM, José Fonseca wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 20:29 -0700, Jakob Stoklund Olesen wrote:
>> On Mar 15, 2011, at 4:15 PM, jfonseca at vmware.com wrote:
>>
>>> This series of patches address several issues causing memory usage to grow
>>> indefinetely on a long lived process.
>>
>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> Did you measure the performance impact of these changes?
>
> I tracked performance with this change with X86 JIT and there was no
> measurable difference, but the performance was governed more by the
> quality of the compiled code, and not so much the compilation time.
>
> If you can point me to a good compilation time benchmark I can get some
> figures.

I normally use 403.gcc, but if you don't have SPEC sources, these tests in the nightly test suite take a while to compile:

MultiSource/Applications/ClamAV
MultiSource/Applications/JM/ldecod
MultiSource/Applications/JM/lencod
MultiSource/Applications/SPASS
MultiSource/Applications/kimwitu++/kc
MultiSource/Applications/sqlite3/sqlite3

If you run 'make TEST=nightly', both llc and opt compile times are interesting. The runtime of opt is cryptically reported in the GCCAS column.

/jakob