[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] GIT mirrors

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:38:41 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info
> wrote:

> > Just to be clear: we _really_ do not want all the sha's to change for
> trunk.
> Yes. That's why I said there will be other way :)
>
> In any case - please try clang.git once again. It should contain new
> branch/tag layout. If there will be some problems - let me know and
> I'll revert to prev. repository.

Perhaps my git-fu is just exceptionally weak, but I'm having difficulties
figuring out how to use the new llvm.git repository.

This morning, I did a 'git fetch' and noticed it pulled new branches for the
SVN releases and tags.  So far so good.  Then, I ran 'git svn rebase -l' but
no commits were merged.  Running a full 'git svn rebase' pulled several SVN
revisions and appeared to commit them to my local repository, but username
information appears to have been lost.  Instead of the usual "Justin
Holewinski <justin.holewinski at gmail.com>", I see "jholewinski
<jholewinski at 91177308-0d34-0410-b5e6-96231b3b80d8>".

Thinking the new repository layout is just not compatible with the old
layout, I performed a fresh clone and did the usual:

$ git config --add remote.origin.fetch
'+refs/remotes/git-svn:refs/remotes/git-svn'
$ git fetch
$ git svn init https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk
$ git svn rebase -l

This seemed to work (luckily there were no upstream commits during this
time), until I finished a commit and tried a 'git svn dcommit'.  It pushed
my commit into the SVN repository, then proceeded to pull what seemed like
100+ different SVN revisions and merged them into my local tree.  Running
'git log' after the commit showed my commit at the top, and then started
with commits from 2001.  I was concerned until I verified the problem was
with my local repository and not with the upstream SVN repository!

It seems like with the current setup, I need to do a fresh git clone every
time a new commit is made upstream.  Otherwise, either 'git fetch' or 'git
svn rebase -l' messes something up.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

What am I missing here?  Should the new layout affect the git workflow?
 Could you post a detailed overview of working with LLVM trunk through the
git-svn bridge on llvm.org?

I thought maybe running from the svn/trunk branch would help, but that
branch seems to contain history only up to 2001.

> --
> With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski