[LLVMdev] Question about TableGen when adding LLVM Backend.

Lu Mitnick king19880326 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:13:28 PST 2011

Hello all,

I have some question about usage of TableGen when adding a new LLVM Backend.
There are three place to use TableGen in basic steps of document "Writing an
LLVM Compiler
Backend":

2. Describe the register set of the target. Use "TableGen" to generate code
for register definition, register aliases, and register classes from a
target-specific RegisterInfo.td input file.

3. Describe the instruction set of the target. Use "TableGen" to generate
code for target-specific instructions from target-specific versions of
TargetInstrFormats.td andTargetInstrInfo.td.

4. Describe the selection and conversion of the LLVM IR from a Directed
Acyclic Graph (DAG) representation of instructions to native target-specific
instructions. Use "TableGen" to generate code that matches patterns and
selects instructions based on additional information in a target-specific
version of TargetInstrInfo.td.

I have already read the document "TableGen Fundamentals" and write
correspond .td files in each steps. However I don't know which TableGen
options should I use in 2, 3 or 4 steps as above. Would anyone mind to tell
me??

thanks a lot

yi-hong