[LLVMdev] Two languages in the same IR

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sat Mar 5 03:48:07 PST 2011

On 5 March 2011 11:26, Ralf Karrenberg <Chareos at gmx.de> wrote:
> we are intermixing LLVM IR generated from C code with IR generated from
> our custom RenderMan frontend. I am not sure whether this is relevant
> for you, but in our restricted setting (the C code does not change
> frequently and we have full control at link time) this works flawless.

Hi Ralf,

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking...

But as you say, you have full control at link time and you can enforce
the "ABI" yourself.

I was wondering how relevant is this intermixing of languages and how
many people were doing this.

Mapping between any two (or more) languages' ABIs would be a fun exercise... ;)

cheers,
--renato