[LLVMdev] inefficiencies in ConstantUniqueMap ?

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 06:37:55 PDT 2011

I'll have another go then!

> I find this distinction between structs with names and structs without
> names strange.  Why is a name relevant to anything?  If you can add fields
> to a struct with a name [...]

This corresponds to the following C constructs:

struct S; // create struct with name but no fields
struct S { int i, j; } // add fields to named struct

> [...] why not to a struct without a name?

This would imply that you were starting with a struct with no name and
no fields, which is not something you can create in C:

struct; // this isn't a C type!

Maybe "adding fields" is bad terminology -- we're really talking about
setting the struct's list of fields, which you can only do once. (You
can't add yet more fields later.)

Jay.