[LLVMdev] Advice on architecture research project?

Benjamin Ylvisaker benjaminy at alumni.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 10 11:31:25 PDT 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 8:09 PM, David A. Greene wrote:

> Note that things like instruction frequencies are highly ISA-
> dependent.  If possible, it is best to evaluate your ideas on more
> than one target, just to see what the effects are.  What other sorts
> of things do you want to study?
>
> If, long-term, you are planning to do serious studies of performance
> impacts, I very highly recommend you not rely on simulators if at
> all possible.  I have never met a simulator ("cycle-accurate" or
> not) that even comes close to giving reasonable performance
> predictions.
>
> I admit this is rather difficult to do if you are exposing some new
> hardware magic to the ISA.  In cases like this I have long believed
> that availability of compiler and simulator source code should be a
> bare minimum prerequisite for publication.  Unfortunately, I seem to
> be in a rather small minority.

The idea I am interested in investigating is operand queue-based (as
opposed to register file-based) ISAs.  As far as I know, there is one
group that has done a significant amount of work on this idea, the
SOWA lab at The University of Electro-Communications in Tokyo.  They
put forward new and interesting micro-architectural ideas along with
the new ISA ideas, which I think has limited the impact of their work,
because doing a credible design and evaluation of entirely new micro-
architectures is so hard.  See, e.g.:

http://bit.ly/iStSmS [ACM Digital Library]

The angle I'd like to explore is combining a queue-based ISA with a
more conventional micro-architecture.  To the first order, all you
have to do in the micro-architecture is replace the architectural
register to physical register renaming with a queue position to
physical register "renaming".  My (totally unsupported for now) belief
is that a queue-based ISA would make it easier/more efficient to
implement some recent micro-architectural research ideas for scalable
cores, like banked register files.

Doing a full-blown micro-architecture exploration and evaluation is
way beyond what I have time for, but before I get there I need to
address some ISA-level issues.  Naive queue-based ISAs lead to very
inefficient code, because you need lots of extra instructions for
shuffling data around the queue to get values in the right order.
(2x-5x more instructions executed is not uncommon.)  So what I'm
hoping to do is explore some ISA tweaks and verify that it's possible
to bring down the number of queue overhead instructions to a
manageable percentage.

Does anyone have any experience with or advice about particular
simulators/emulators?  What I'm most interested in is easy
modifiability.  QEMU looks like an interesting option.

Thanks,
Ben