[LLVMdev] Compiling whole programs to bitcode

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:27:06 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Charles Davis <cdavis at mymail.mines.edu> wrote:
> You can link your bitcode together with glibc's bitcode by using the
> llvm-link utility. Then you can run DCE over the bitcode with "opt -dce"
> and cull all the functions you don't need.

Right, that's still a reasonably straightforward solution for C... I
think what I'm more concerned about is C++, where templates break the
simple model of source to object to linking. Trying to wrap my head
around what the pipeline would look like in the C++ case.

> But why are you trying to do this at all?

I've got some ideas for automatic detection of bugs in C/C++ code,
looking into the feasibility of using Clang as a front-end in the hope
of only having to write a parser for the ASCII version of bitcode
(dead easy) instead of C (somewhat easy) and C++ (hard).