[LLVMdev] Is using lots of in-register values in IR bad?

Erkki Lindpere villane at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:20:47 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm a newbie when it comes to compilers (and even close-to-machine coding),
but recently started working on my own language and am using LLVM as the
mid/backend. Currently I'm generating .ll files from a front-end written in
Scala. The language is not really serious, just a way to learn more about
compilers (and LLVM) and maybe serve as a base for further experiments. It's
somewhat based on Kaleidoscope, but with more Scala-like syntax.

I want to experiment with avoiding mutable state as far as I can. At the
moment there are no mutable variables -- only immutable value types
(numerics, bool, vectors, tuples) and I've been doing everything in LLVM
registers. The compiler doesn't generate a single alloca, load or store at
the moment.

I wonder if it was maybe a bad idea to do it this way? Because a lot of
stuff in LLVM seem to be only available through pointers. e.g. extractvalue
takes only constant indices, but GEP can take variables. Some things seem to
be possible only by bitcasting pointers, e.g. splitting a Vector into
equal-sized parts to partially compute the sum of it's elements with SIMD
instructions...

And there may of course be some penalty for passing large(-ish) structures
by-value. I haven't investigated at which sizes does that become worse than
passing pointers.

Maybe a better alternative would be to allocate memory for every local
value, and let the mem2reg pass optimize?

I hope these kind of questions are appropriate for this list.

Regards,
Erkki Lindpere