[LLVMdev] Switching LLVM CMake build to use explicit dependencies, and completely removing implicit dependency re-generation

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Jul 27 21:49:19 PDT 2011

Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

[snip]

> Any objections, shout out now! =D

Yes, I have objections. This was already discussed with Doug on the past
and I won't waste my time rehashing the topic. Just one observation: it
would be a big mistake to not make the same switch on the traditional
build as well. Why? because the automatic library dependency detection
system is the same and because people will not remember to update the
library dependencies in cmake if they are not required to update them in
the makefiles too.

> I'm hoping to do this really really soon as my builds and several
> others are completely broken due to failures not fixed by the patch
> you committed.

If this change fixes problems with the build (as much as I'll like to
see the corresponding bug reports) the Right Thing is to apply it.

I retire from the informal role of maintainer of the cmake build, not in
disgust, but just due to differences of opinion about how the build must
work to provide the best service to its users.

As a LLVM user I will be happy as long as the build works. Otherwise
I'll mail-bomb you with bug reports :-)