[LLVMdev] Avoiding load narrowing in DAGCombiner

Matt Johnson johnso87 at crhc.illinois.edu
Wed Jul 27 18:07:10 PDT 2011

On 07/27/2011 05:59 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Matt Johnson
> <johnso87 at crhc.illinois.edu>  wrote:
>> Hi Eli,
>>
>> On 07/27/2011 04:59 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:

>>> This.
>>>
>>> I think you're talking about DAGCombiner::ReduceLoadWidth... and the
>>> "if (LegalOperations&&    !TLI.isLoadExtLegal(ExtType, ExtVT))" is
>>> supposed to ensure that the transformation in question is safe.  That
>>> said, IIRC I fixed a bug there recently; are you using trunk?
>> Perfect!  I'm using 2.8 for now (am hoping to roll forward to trunk and stay
>> there in a month or two), and 2.8 only had that check for SIGN_EXTEND_INREG,
>> not SRL or others.  The bugfix was in r124587.
>>
>> I'm now seeing a similar problem with SimplifyDemandedBits() on a
>> 4-byte-aligned i8 load.  LowerLOAD() emits an aligned LD4 followed by an AND
>> with constant 0xFF.  SimplifyDemandedBits() sees this and changes it to a
>> zero-extended LD1.  Is this the same situation, where a bugfix was made
>> after 2.8?  Any idea where to look?
> The following?
>
>      // If the LHS is '(and load, const)', the RHS is 0,
>      // the test is for equality or unsigned, and all 1 bits of the const are
>      // in the same partial word, see if we can shorten the load.
>      if (DCI.isBeforeLegalize()&&
>          N0.getOpcode() == ISD::AND&&  C1 == 0&&
>          N0.getNode()->hasOneUse()&&
>          isa<LoadSDNode>(N0.getOperand(0))&&
>          N0.getOperand(0).getNode()->hasOneUse()&&
>          isa<ConstantSDNode>(N0.getOperand(1))) {
>        LoadSDNode *Lod = cast<LoadSDNode>(N0.getOperand(0));
>        APInt bestMask;
> [...]
It turned out that this problem is fixed by (your) r135462.
isLoadExtLegal() returned true if the extload was marked 'Custom', which
is a problem post-legalize because you can't go back and do your custom
lowering :)  It sounds like that patch was motivated by CellSPU, which
isn't surprising since I'm in much the same boat w.r.t. custom
load/store lowering.

On a side note, are there other consumers of isLoadExt/TruncStoreLegal()
that run pre-legalize and *do* want 'true' when the extload/truncstore
is 'Custom'?

> This shouldn't ever do the wrong thing because of the
> DCI.isBeforeLegalize() check, although the result might be less than
> ideal.
>
> Note that in general, this stuff only gets very lightly tested.

Fair enough.  Hopefully I'll be able to come up with some bugfixes of my
own once I roll the backend forward :)
> -Eli
Thanks again,
-Matt