[LLVMdev] Avoiding load narrowing in DAGCombiner

Matt Johnson johnso87 at crhc.illinois.edu
Wed Jul 27 14:28:59 PDT 2011

Hi All,
     I'm writing a backend for a target which only supports 4-byte,
4-byte-aligned loads and stores.  I custom-lower all {*EXT}LOAD and
STORE nodes in TargetISelLowering.cpp to take advantage of all alignment
information available to the backend, rather than treat each load and
store conservatively, which takes O(10) instructions.  My target's
allowsUnalignedMemoryOperations() always returns 'false', and the
setOperationAction()s for i8,i16,i32 loads and stores are all 'Custom'.

     I'm running into a problem where DAGCombiner is being too clever
for me; it runs LegalizeDAG, which calls my custom LowerLOAD() and
LowerSTORE() routines (which emit between 1 and O(10) SDValues,
depending on alignment information), and then runs DAGCombine.  To lower
an i16 STORE that is known to be in the high-addressed 2 bytes of a word
on my little-endian target, I emit and LD4 from the word-aligned address
and an SRL 16 to shift the i16 into the LSbits of the register.

DAGCombine visit()s an ISD::SRL node and notices that it is
right-shifting the result of an LD4 from %arrayidx4 by 16 bits, and
replaces it with an LD2 from %arrayidx+2.

Replaces
--------
0x17f7070: i32,ch = load 0x17faa00, 0x17f7f70, 0x17f6a70<LD4[%arrayidx4]>
0x17f94c0: i32 = Constant<16> [ORD=9] [ID=10]
0x17f7470: i32 = srl 0x17f7070, 0x17f94c0

With
----
0x17fceb0: i32,ch = load 0x17faa00, 0x17fac00,
0x17f6a70<LD2[%arrayidx4+2], zext from i16>

That seems like a logical thing to do on a lot of targets, but in my
case, the LD4->SRL combo was emitted precisely because I *don't* want a
ZEXTLOAD i16.  I'm wondering if there is:

a) A way to turn off this optimization in DAGCombine if your target
doesn't support LD2 natively
b) A way to (repeatedly) call my LowerLOAD/LowerSTORE functions after
DAGCombine until no LD1's or LD2's remain
c) A completely different way I should be approaching this (e.g., in
ISelDAGToDAG?)

For now, the workaround is to have a conservative pattern in my
InstrInfo.td that will do the right thing with any LD2's DAGCombine
creates, but ideally I can find a way to keep DAGCombine from fighting me :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Matt