[LLVMdev] Stack implementation

Piotr Kaleta piotrek.kaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 03:17:20 PDT 2011

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my stack instruction set contains
instructions, that it's impossible to predict how much stack space would
they require (Unwind/Eval instructions from G-Machine code). Therefore I
doubt that I would be able to implement it using compile-time stack only
(and I believe that this is what you're suggesting). I think I have to
implement some sort of run-time stack and my question was what is the best
way to do this. Now I know that subsequent alloca's doesn't allocate
contiguous area of memory on the stack, so I believe that the only way to go
would be to allocate stack items consisting of 2 elements:
 - the pointer to the previous stack cell
 - actual value of the cell

Do you see any better way of doing that?

Kind regards

--
Piotr Kaleta