[LLVMdev] Exception Handling Rewrite Branch

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Wed Jul 27 01:08:26 PDT 2011

On Jul 26, 2011, at 11:00 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2011, at 4:16 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:
>
>> For those who are playing along, I've started on the exception handling rewrite following the document and comments from this thread:
>>
>> 	http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2011-July/041748.html
>>
>> The repositories are:
>>
>> 	http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/branches/exception-handling-rewrite
>> 	http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/branches/exception-handling-rewrite
>>
>> Progress Report:
>>
>> 	I created the two new instructions: landingpad and resume. Hand-modified code can run through the assembler and disassembler and emit the same code. The verifier can verify basic properties of the landingpad instruction.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Any reason to do this on a branch?  Why can't the patches go into mainline?

Hi Chris,

Some of the changes (like the inliner changes) are going to break the old EH way of doing things. The front-ends will need to change over to the new EH scheme. And they won't want to change over until things are finished. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing. I figured that doing this on a branch first and then outlining how to change the front-ends and/or create an Auto-upgrade tool would be the best course of action.

-bw