[LLVMdev] git

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Sat Jul 23 11:38:37 PDT 2011

On Jul 23, 2011, at 5:37 AM, FlyLanguage wrote:
> Yes, but who's mainline? Is the plan to have a centralized repo with a mainline branch that everybody pushes to, or the a linux style model where some person has an official mainline to which he pulls?
>
> It's quite different things.

>From my interpretation of what Chris has said about this, it would be the former (centralized repo with a master branch that everyone pushes to).  I agree with that.  We have a development process that works well, and I see no compelling reasons to change it.

Personally I think our current system is a very nice middle ground.  We get nice sequential revision numbers from svn, and behind the scenes everyone can go crazy with git.  It's a little awkward to set up a new repo that pulls from the git mirrors and also lets you use git-svn dcommit to push back, but that's a minor nuisance AFAICT.