[LLVMdev] git

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Jul 22 16:02:10 PDT 2011

fly language <flylanguage at gmail.com> writes:

>> After git, mainline will still be the most important branch for the
>> *project*,
>> but you will work with quite a few branches on parallel.
>>

> Who's mainline? :) Be prepared to assign a super-merger, like Linus, to
> maintain the "mainline".
>
> The git workflow works really really great, but it does require getting rid
> of mainline thinking. It doesn't exist.

This is not quite true. At least for LLVM. `mainline' here is "from
where release branches are created."

One thing that I wanted to see (and probably missed, because I didn't
read all the thread) is to discuss the workflow. I'm under the
impression that not all regular LLVM developers understand the
implications for the LLVM community of migrating from a central VCS to a
distributed one, on terms of developer workflow, group management,
etc. We should make those details explicit just to avoid surprises.

I was involved on the Emacs transition to Bazaar from CVS. Converting
the repositories was a minor task in comparison to the educational
effort to adapt people's mindset to a DVCS. Some years after the
migration, people is still not thinking on terms of a DVCS, making
fundamental mistakes along the way. LLVM developers have a very
different profile and I'm sure that things will settle down after just a
few rough weeks if the right decisions are made from the start.