[LLVMdev] git

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at grenoble-inp.fr
Fri Jul 22 01:44:42 PDT 2011

John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> writes:

> It isn't, and of course "git cherry-pick -x" does make it very easy to
> preserve this information.  I'm just saying that the use case of
> release branches formed by extensive cherry-picking is very
> important to both the LLVM and Apple release processes.

I don't know whether it's applicable to LLVM and Apple, but a common
practice to solve this is to apply bugfixes to the oldest supported
branch having the bug first, and then merge old maintainance branches to
newer branches. This way, you have a real merge, not a cherry-pick.

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/