[LLVMdev] git

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at grenoble-inp.fr
Fri Jul 22 00:29:53 PDT 2011

Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com> writes:

> SVN revision numbers are central to my workflow. I use them to tag
> results generated against various builds. I like those results sorted
> by time and the chronology should be obvious,

This means in the presence of branches, you want the ordering to be

[branch A] build 1
[branch B] build 2
[branch A] build 3
[branch C] build 4

?

It seems to me that your solution works only if you have a very simple
branch topology, where you can essentially consider branches in
isolation. As soon as you consider non-trunk branches and merge commits
to be important, the history is a DAG, and the problem is not that
version numbers are not linear, but that the history itself is not.

Of course, if you've used SVN extensively, you've been trained to think
that history has to be somewhat linear, and perhaps even that the trunk
branch is the only one needing QA attention. Migration from SVN to Git
is hard because you have to change the mental model, not just command
names and how revisions are named.

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/