[LLVMdev] git

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Thu Jul 21 04:26:11 PDT 2011

On 07/21/2011 12:50 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

>>> Definitely.
>>
>> I think that I'm the one who previously strongly objected to doing so.
>> I now remove my objections, I think that git has both matured enough
>> and has succeeded in "winning" the distributed VCS war.
>
> There is still the major regression with unreadable version numbers.
> Given the amount of Bugzilla traffic with "Fixed in...", that's a
> non-trivial issue.

What about solving this with a post receive hook?

As soon as a commit contains something like "Bug 1222" the relevant git
commit is automatically added to Bugzilla and a link to the git web
repository is added.

We may even improve this, by automatically closing bug reports if we
have "Fixes #1222" or something.

I also personally just copy/past the revision numbers, so I do not
really care how long they are. Even with 6 digits copy/paste is for me
faster, than remembering them and retyping them.

Cheers
Tobi