[LLVMdev] Correct use of StringRef and Twine

FlyLanguage flylanguage at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:50:47 PDT 2011

Den 19.07.2011 20:14, skrev David Blaikie:
>>> Perhaps, I suppose, I'm not sure just how portable llvm code is.
>>
>> Very portable AFAICT. I'm even going to port it to my hobbyist OS once C++
>> rtti is totally gone in the llvm code base.
>
> Sorry, I meant source portable to different compilers (ie: which
> compilers does llvm compile on&  how many have really poor std::string
> implementations).

I should elaborate... the problem with STL, and std::string in
particular, is that you have to consider each implementation's
performance characteristics. For stuff like LLVM, where performance is
really critical, you have to code against a particular implementation.

Some string implementations does simple COW/refcounting, others do SSO,
some do LSP, some do other optimizations. And there are all sorts of
combinations, and future implementations are likely to change on certain
platforms.

It's nasty.