[LLVMdev] Overloading intrinsic with pointer to pointer

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue Jul 12 02:26:43 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've noticed that if I try to overload an intrinsic with a pointer to
pointer my call to Intrinsic::getDeclaration, for example with an i8**
type. Ultimately, this is because Intrinsic::getName
(lib/VMCore/Function.cpp#338) only removes one level of indirection
from the passed pointer type, so calls getEVTString on a pointer type
resulting an in Invalid EVT assertion (lib/VMCore/ValueTypes.cpp#97).

Is there a problem with what I'm trying to do which isn't immediately
obvious to me, or is this an LLVM bug/deficiency?

Thank you,

Alex