[LLVMdev] Opinions Wanted: New asm Comments

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon Jul 11 14:48:38 PDT 2011

I have a patch I'd like to commit that adds commentary to asm files
about which TableGen pattern generated a particular instruction.  The
output looks like this:

	cvtpd2ps	%xmm0, %xmm0    # source.c:39
                                        #  Src: (intrinsic_wo_chain:v4f32 927:iPTR, VR128:v2f64:$src)
                                        #  Dst: (Int_CVTPD2PSrr:v4f32 VR128:v2f64:$src)

This is enormously helpful when trying to track down codegen bugs but
clutters the asm file pretty badly for "ordinary" users.

Right now I have this under control of a separate -asm-pattern flag.
All other asm commentary is controlled by -asm-verbose.

Is a new flag appropriate for this or should I just put it under
-asm-verbose with everything else?  If we want a new flag, does anyone
have a spelling they'd recommend?  I'm not particularly fond of
-asm-pattern but it was the best concise name my uncreative brain could
conjur up.

                               -Dave