[LLVMdev] type-system-rewrite branch landing tomorrow

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 15:27:25 PDT 2011

2011/7/9 Rafael Ávila de Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>:
>> It looks like we need to have opaque function types? Or we need to defer
>> emission of some types until we've finished the translation unit.
>
> We were deferring this before, no? We could not produce a function type
> taking an opaque type. Once it go resolved we would need to revisit the
> function type.
>
> Maybe it is just the logic for delaying it that got broken in the
> transition?

What we were doing before is that if a function type depended on an
incomplete type, the function type itself was made opaque, and
subsequently resolved when the type(s) it depended on were completed.
I haven't looked at the committed version closely, but the draft
patches basically ripped out that code because the approach was
unworkable.

-Eli