[LLVMdev] Best location in code generation for insertion of instrumentation to measure stack depth?

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 8 14:21:53 PDT 2011

On 7/8/11 4:09 PM, Andrew Ruef wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to implement the technique outlined in the following
> paper: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mwh/papers/martin10ownership.html
> <http://www.cs.umd.edu/%7Emwh/papers/martin10ownership.html> in LLVM.
> My approach so far involves the use of an IR level transform (via
> runOnFunction) to identify memory loads and stores. One thing I need
> to do (I am pretty sure I need to do it at least) is automatically
> mark each stack frame as "owned" by the current thread.
>
> I'm not sure where the best place in the LLVM architecture to do this
> is. As I currently understand it, the concept of a stack frame appears
> pretty late in target code generation. I've hacked in a hook for this
> in X86FrameLowering.cpp in the emitPrologue and emitEpilogue methods.
>
> Is there a cleaner way I can do this? Is there a way I can subclass
> the X86 code generator to "hook" those two methods and insert my
> instrumentation? Is there something I'm missing with
> runOnMachineFunction?

I'm stepping beyond what I know a little bit, but have you looked at
writing a MachineFunctionPass?  A student here at Illinois wrote a
MachineFunctionPass to insert additional epilogue code into functions.
Assuming that it's possible, putting your functionality into a
MachineFunctionPass should be cleaner than modifying the code generator
directly (MachineFunctionPass'es may even be load-able into llc).

Check out the doxygen docs for MachineFunctionPass
(http://llvm.org/doxygen/classllvm_1_1MachineFunctionPass.html),
MachineFunction
(http://llvm.org/doxygen/classllvm_1_1MachineFunction.html), and
MachineFrameInfo