[LLVMdev] git-svn dcommit Question

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Fri Jul 8 11:29:01 PDT 2011

Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> writes:

> From the git-svn man page (without any context):
>
> "Do NOT use git merge or your history will not be compatible with a
> future dcommit!"
>
> As these warnings exist, I never tried to commit anything that has a
> non-linear history.

Well, I've been merging my brains out.  What I did was create a branch
specifically to do dcommits from and then svn rebased in there.  The
merges showed up in the linear history but it was easy enough to create
_another_ branch and then just cherry-pick the commits I actually want
to send.  It's a little more involved but allows one to use the full
power of git.

> In general I would just try. As long as you check with 'git svn -n
> dcommit' before the actual dcommit, you should be good.

Yep.

                               -Dave