[LLVMdev] type-system-rewrite branch near landing

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 08:30:55 PDT 2011

On 7 July 2011 18:41, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Jay Foad <jay.foad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Even some simple C cases fail, e.g.:
>>
>> struct S;
>> extern struct T {
>>  struct S (*p)(void);
>> } t;
>> struct S { int i; };
>> void g(void) {
>>  t.p();
>> }
>>
>> The problem here is that T.p is codegenned as i8*, so we need to
>> bitcast it to a proper function pointer type before calling it.
>> Shouldn't be too hard to implement.
>
> I don't really like the idea that function types, and especially enum
> types, will permanently be associated with an incomplete type.
> There's too much room for something to screw up, particularly for the
> enum case (which probably won't get tested very well).
>
> I think if you keep track of all the types based on an incomplete tag
> type, and just wipe them all out when the type is completed,
> everything should just work; a type can't be completed in the middle
> of the CodeGen for a function, and we bitcast all globals before use,
> so there's nothing else to change.

When I thought about this very hard, it made sense. Thanks for the insight!

It sounds a bit hard to keep track of which types are based (directly
or indirectly) on incomplete types, so for the time being I'm clearing
the whole of the TypeCache and the FunctionInfos cache every time any
type is completed. I realise this is a bit brutal.

Now I'm running into another problem with the implementation:
EmitCXXConstructor() and EmitCXXDestructor() don't do most of the
stuff that's done for normal functions in
EmitGlobalFunctionDefinition. In particular, they're not prepared to
find an existing LLVM declaration of the function with the wrong LLVM
type, and replace it with a definition having the right type.

Jay.