[LLVMdev] How to change the type of an Instruction?

Douglas do Couto Teixeira douglasdocouto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:01:43 PST 2011

Hi, guys,

      Thanks a lot for your help. As you know, I am trying to implement
something to change the types of the instructions. And I chose the trunc's
approach because it seems be simple. But I still have some problems and
questions. Would be great if you can help me.

    I have used the results of my range analysis implementation to change
the intermediate representation. I am using the very simple expedient of
inserting a trunc right after the definition of a small variable, and
inverse truncation right after the uses of this variable. I am doing this
for correctness. So, if I have something like:

a = b + c
x = a + y
w = a - z

Then I change the program into:

a = b + c
a_small = trunc(a)
a1 = truncInv(a_small)
x = a1 + y
a2 = truncInv(a_small)
w = a2 - z

Again, I did it like this just to check for correctness. But, even if I
optimize the insertion of truncs, it seems that the end code will not be
good, and I am afraid I will miss many optimization opportunities. Like, one
of the first things that would pay off would be small peephole optmizations,
such as removing unnecessary truncation, or using small multiplication
whenever possible, and eliminating instructions such as x = y & 0xFF,
whenever I know that y < 0xFF. So, what I would like to ask you is this: is
it right to do bitwidth analysis at the intermediate representation level,
or should I re-implement my analysis at the machine level? The type system
seems to be getting in my way at the intermediate level. If I go to the
machine level, can I avoid this types of problems?

Thank you a lot,

Douglas